October 24, 2021
CPU utilization Chrome OS 91.0.4472.147 running slow

ChromeOS 91.0.4472.147 Running Slow

Just in case anyone else is running into an issue with ChromeOS 91.0.4472.147 running slow. My wife just hit me up about her Chromebook having issues. I checked and the CPU is almost always pegging with the CPU at 100% Utilization. It looks like this started with ChromeOS 91.0.4472.147 which it was just updated to. For reference she has an HP Chromebook Model 14-db0050nr. I tried disabling extensions and clearing cache and such with no luck. She really only uses this for Web browsing, so no apps installed or anything.

Here you can see the CPU utilization maxing out pretty consistently when I checked it. Plus its only showing my CPU at .80GHz?

CPU utilization Chrome OS 91.0.4472.147 maxxed out

You can also see it by using the command chrome://sys-internals in the browser.

chromeOS sys-internals

 

I was hoping that it might be fixed in a new Beta version so updated to the Beta channel and tried the new version 92 with no luck.

Version 92.0.4515.82 (Official Build) beta (64-bit) 

At this point I am at a loss and hope they might have a fix soon. If anyone else is having this issue with ChromeOS 91.0.4472.147 Running Slow you are not alone. I just reported it as an issue and hope they can resolve it quickly.  Otherwise I may be doing some computer shopping soon for her, but she loves her little Chromebook.

If I find a solution I will update the post and add it here.

UPDATE: Looks like someone already reported it as a bug here 1226037 – Terrible Performance on Grunt Device After 91.0.4472.147 Update – chromium

Possible fix

UPDATE 2: I was playing around and after powering off my chromebook a few times and it did not seem to help, But when I tried holding down the power button for about a full minute to drain power off the motherboard (Chromebook was not plugged in) it seems much better now. Also after powering it back up after holding down the button I now see when I run diagnostics that the CPU core is no longer stuck at .80Ghz and the Chromebook is much snappier and working better. There is still a problem as I see it still going to 100% CPU usage, but it is improved and I can actually use it now with less frustration.

Also It looks like I am on a new Beta version 92.13982.0 so that might also have helped. Not sure when that was updated from the original post here. The previous Beta version was showing the same slowdown symptoms before this.  So not 100% sure which one of these helped. Good luck!

New beta version